The First Time We Saw Your Face...

The First Time We Saw Your Face...
Shu Hua Wen-Referral Photo

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Finally Home

Boy, am I behind posting an update! The last few days in Guangzhou were a whirlwind, it seems, and I am learning that to do things I need/want to do, I am going to have to learn to manage my time much different than in the past!

Our trip home from China was a challenge. We left Beijing Thursday at 5:00 p.m. Chloe got motion sickness-4 times-on the plane. We had to change her clothes every time, and she wined and whimpered. Finally she slept for several hours. We arrived in Newark, N.J. and had to collect our bags and go through customs? I think. Our bags were the last out on the bag claim belt, then the line for customs wound around and around. Finally after waiting about 30 minutes with an unhappy Chloe, a security guy came around and was asking about her and I mentioned to him about her getting sick on the plane and he let us cut in line! However by that time we had already missed our flight to Houston. The next one was at 5:00 the next morning and we'd have to be on standby. So we decided to stay overnight, at Continental's expense, in Newark. THREE hours later, we're still standing there waiting for our vouchers and key to the hotel. They shuttled us to Crown Plaza, only to find out they are full, so then we're shuttled to Ramada Inn (nothing to write home about, but a warm bed nonetheless). We got in bed around 10:30, only to get up at 3:00 a.m. and start all over again. We all 3 got seats on the 5:00 a.m. flight, but then when we arrived in Houston, we missed our flight to Killeen! The next one wasn't until Saturday morning. We were so eager to get home that we rented a car in Houston and drove the 2 1/2 hours home.

Ever since we've been home, I have been sick. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and got medicine and am feeling much better today. My poor husband has had to take care of Chloe by herself much of Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. He reminds me so much of my own daddy, very patient and nurturing, getting down on the floor and playing with her. Wish both our daddies would've been here to know her.

7 comments:

  1. you will remember this trip the rest of your lives. But the end will be worth all the stress you guys have had to deal with. Seems like things just can't go smooth . So sorry you have been sick and Yes Kevin always was a patient man. His dad was also.
    But we in the family are so glad you are home with your precious new gift. keep us posted we so enjoy hearing how things are going. Glad you are better. love ya Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I'm so sorry that Chloe had such a rough time with the flight. Sounds like you guys had a rough time yourselves. Goodness!!! I don't blame you at all for driving on home. One more night would have been crazy.
    I'm also sorry to hear you have been so sick. Good thing she likes Kevin,hey? LOL!
    Take it easy, and can't wait to see updated photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you guys had such a LONG trip home. And so sorry your Chloe was sick on the way home. My Chloe had poop issues and needed new clothes too -- but only once. Glad you are feeling better after the drs. I hope Kevin and Chloe stay healthy.

    Sending hugs and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. I bet home never looked better by the time you finally arrived there. So sorry to hear it was such a rough trip home and that you got sick on top of it. Here's hoping that things are looking up from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to see your post, and hope you are feeling better soon! How many hours did it actually take you to get home? It took us 30, and we had no sleep... Maiya did, but that was only on the flight from GZ to LA. The rest was a crap shoot, and very stressful, but no one was air sick. Can't wait to see some new posts with photo's included!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you all are home with the little princess and that you have gotten to the dr for some meds. I too wish Chloe's Grandpa Jack could have gotten to meet both you and Chloe, Kevin is much like his father!
    I am so sorry you all have a rough trip home, but the good news is that it will only get better. I forgot to ask...how did Chloe do in her first carseat ride? I hope you'll continue to post here with photos so we can enjoy that little girl! I will plan another trip to see you guys...the snow storm was wild...we ended up with 12.5 inches here in Dallas...so I didn't go anywhere.
    By the way, I told Kevin I am now on the hunt for bows and headbands...she has great hair so she needs some accessories!!! ha ha
    So be on the watch for those to come shortly!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Norah, we got the new outfit in the mail and she wore it the very next day! So, so cute! I should've taken a picture of it. She wore it to meet my coworkers. I had to go complete some paperwork for insurance. Thank you again for everything. I'm sorry the weather was so bad, but be sure and plan to visit soon. My brother is in Grapevine so I guess he got some bad weather, too!

    ReplyDelete