The First Time We Saw Your Face...

The First Time We Saw Your Face...
Shu Hua Wen-Referral Photo

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Last Few Days.....

Wednesday after completing the last of the paperwork (in Chengdu, anyway), Susie took us to a brocade/embroidery shop. There were 3 huge looms where men were making brocade items, 2 men per loom. The one on the bottom controlled the colors, and the one on the top controlled the pattern. Some of the items in that store were amazing. The lady said these men start learning this art at a very young age. Some of the most beautiful pieces took the men 2+ years to complete (and they wanted a pretty penny for them, too). We purchased a couple of souvenirs there. It was worth the trip.

Thursday morning our guide, Susie, took us to the Panda Reserve. It was really neat, but we could hardly keep up with Susie. Why she was walking so fast, I don't know. Anyway, we took lots of photos. It was a very nice park. On the way back, we drove by Chloe's "finding place", the place where she was found when she was abandoned. It looked like a little cement drive, with apartments on either side. She was only 2 years old at the time. If she had decided to turn around and walk the other way, she could've ended up in traffic, and the way they drive here, she could've been hurt badly, or worse. It was a sad experience, but one I'm glad we had. I know she may have questions one day, and I intend to tell her all I can.

Thursday evening we flew from Chengdu to Guangzhou. Chloe did not like the plane ride at all. She cried and threw a tantrum (one of many that day) and wanted Kevin to hold her, which he couldn't do. It was a long flight (2 1/2 hrs). Makes me dread the flight home in a few days.

Here in Guangzhou we are staying at the White Swan hotel. It is a beautiful building with a 3 story waterfall in the lobby and a man-made pond full of fish. It is located on Shamian Island and there are many shops to explore. For lunch we walked next door to Lucy's and I had a hamburger and french fries. Felt like home...


Here's a few things I already know about Chloe:
1) She can out-eat Kevin AND me, but everything "western" we've tried, she has not cared for
2) She does not like bath time, which makes me believe they were probably scarce at the orphanage
3) She can be very sweet when she wants to be and already gives kisses, mostly to Kevin
4) She likes to be clean and when you give her a wet wipe, she wipes her face and hands and hair, and when she's done, she starts all over
5) She has no interest in dolls-YUCK!


Will post more in a few days...



Note to Norah:
Norah, I'm not able to access my blog from here, but my dear friend, Lesa, is posting for me. Right now, Chloe is wearing 24 months, but since I brought some 2T, she's been wearing them, too. They fit okay, but just long in the legs. We had her medical exam today and she was 11 kg. (@ 24 lbs.). The diapers we bought here are Pampers Large for 9-14 kg. and they fit pretty good.

Beijing was very cold, in the high 30s, I believe. Chengdu was much warmer, in the 50s, but still required a jacket. Here in Guangzhou, where we arrived last night, it is very pleasant, probably in the 60s. But it is very, very humid here.

We did venture out some on our own in Chengdu, but to tell the truth, it's a very scary place to be after dark...or even light for that matter. Plus you have to cross a street in every direction and, doing that is taking your life into your own hands! I have never seen such crazy driving in my life!

The bed in Chengdu was the most comfortable bed! Now here in Guangzhou they are back to being hard. Oh, well, guess you can't have everything! I'm about to send another post to Lesa that will answer the finding place question.

Thanks for the comments and for the prayers, especially. I can see this is going to be a lengthy process.

Mary

5 comments:

  1. Mary, I'm so glad you finally got to go see the Panda's!
    Wow, I sure hope your next flight is a much better one.
    I sure can't wait to see more photos...
    Maybe a mixture of pandas and meeting up with Sherry, and Cynthia?
    Have a wonderful time in one of my favorite places...GZ!

    I'm glad you put some answers out there on sizes for Norah and all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the plane trips may hurt her ears it does several. Glad you let us know what size Chloe is. It will all work out but yes it will take time. She will learn to eat western food. all just takes time love and prayers sandy Hudson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you are in GZ, you're on the downhill side of the journey. So glad you got to catch up with Sherry and Cynthia! Continued prayers that Chloe feels more and more comfortable each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about all that little girl has gone through guess we all would throw a few tantrums. Our prayer go out for all of you.and that each day is much better. Love and Prayers Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary, thank you so much for answering my questions! Shopping will begin immediately! I'll do a few 24 months, just to get her started then move on to 2T...now that she will be eating more, she will gain weight.
    Oh I am so glad you all got to go to her finding place. It just makes my heart cry...can you imagine...a two year old being told by her mommy to stay there and not move not follow her and to walk away from her..ohh just makes me cry, I pray we will never understand that need to walk away from a baby. Mary do you have a baby bjorn or hip sling? Might help if you "wear her"...will help with bonding. The tantrums are the reason this little one survived...she is a fighter...she had to be...since she isn't into dolls...guess she won't be loving her welcome home barbie!! haha...save it...someday she will want it. Thank you for keeping us in the loop and seeing you become a new family...you are on the downside of your trip...hard to believe after 4 years...relax and enjoy your mini vacation at the white swan...oh by the way...get some of those cute squeeky shoes..you can take the squeekers out...but they are cheap and all leather..can't find them in the states for anywhere around that price! By the way I know of one shop owner that is a Christian...Jordan. Enjoy a little shopping and relaxing and getting to know a special little girl!
    I'll see you all on the 12th...I will be the one with the big bouquet of pink balloons! Bet you don't have diapers either..so I'll pick up to help tide you over for a few days!
    Love you all!
    Norah

    ReplyDelete